With so much processed foods in the market, it is increasingly becoming harder to tell which among them is suitable for consumption – which has all the necessary nutrients and pose the least risk. However, growing your food is the surest way of getting the best nutrients from plants – undefiled.
You cannot deny that there is joy in having your pantry shelves full of glowing jars of oranges, onions, tomatoes, rutabagas and green vegetables from your garden. Gardening is associated with a sense of wellbeing in addition to having good quality foods.
As a gardener, you find that you need a watering can to ensure that your plants in a greenhouse or your house are getting adequate water. The following are suggestions of the best watering cans you can choose from and make your gardening fulfilling.
- 1 What are Watering Cans and do you really need one?
- 2 What to Look for when Choosing the Best Watering Can
- 3 A Review of the Best Watering Cans
- 3.1 #1: IMEEA Watering Can Pot Stainless Steel SUS304 Modern, 32Oz / 900ml
- 3.2 #2: StainlessLUX 72253 Brushed Small Stainless Steel Watering Can
- 3.3 #3: Bloem Living JW41-32 Aqua Rite Watering Can
- 3.4 4: AquaVor 1.5 Gallon Watering Can come with Built-in Fertilizer Dispenser
- 3.5 #5: Haws V143G Traditional Peter Rabbit Design Metal Watering Can
- 4 Conclusion
What are Watering Cans and do you really need one?
Watering cans hold water and provide an easy way of watering the plants. They are usually made of plastic, metal or ceramics – this is a matter of preference. Watering cans were in use as early as 17th century and had gone through structural changes over the years for the better. They are now more comfortable to carry and use in your garden than it was in those olden times.
The best watering can make your task of watering the plants easier. It is comfortable to hold and made from a durable material.
If you have a watering hose, you most likely will not need a watering can. Of course, a watering hose with a good quality sprayer is more efficient and convenient. You may only need a watering can where you also have indoor plants such as flowers or where the hose cannot reach.
However, you will need it when transplanting or seeding outside. They provide a gentle flow of water to cover the plant adequately. A hose may not be soft enough because of the water pressure. A sprinkler, on the other hand, may also fail to reach specific areas and plants. In order to choose the best watering can, you will need to consider the following
What to Look for when Choosing the Best Watering Can
- The material: Like small rain barrels, plastic is the most common material in watering cans and is, and it is for a good reason. If properly stored, plastic is long-lasting and will neither rust nor break. A small plastic can will also not give you trouble regarding storage. Plastic is also easy to carry around to where the plants are and use. The only thing that you need to do is keep it out of direct sunlight. Metal cans are commonly used in cases where there is a need for an aesthetic appeal. Some metal cans, made of stainless steel and carrying beautiful designs are for those that need something that looks good. The problem with metal cans is rusting, and they are relatively heavier than plastic. Galvanized steel cans are, however, better than plastic cans when it comes to outdoor use. You can leave it out in the sun and rain and still maintain a good reasonably good condition. They are also attractive, and you will not need to hide it from the glare of your friends that come to visit.The problem with ceramic watering cans is that they are heavier. However, they have a unique and sophisticated look for indoor plant watering. These cans may look so good that you are compelled to use them while hosting your friends in your homes.
- Simple to use: depending on the size of your garden or the number of plants you have to water, your choice of a watering can must be simple to use. You cannot have a watering can that gives you problems when it comes to watering seedlings at the farther end of your property. It must also be gentle on the plants. There is no use having an attractive can but produces a flow pattern that is too harsh on the young plants.
- Indoor/ Outdoor Use: it is crucial to determine whether your watering can will solely be used indoors or outdoors. If indoors to water potted flowers, then you can use beautiful watering cans that will be appealing to your friends and visitors. Outdoor use may require more functional cans to ensure optimal use. Instead or a heavier ceramic, go with plastic or galvanized steel. This kind of watering can will help you cover an expansive area when watering.
- The Reach and Design: this is among the most considerations as it will determine the ease of use. It is especially the case when it comes to indoor watering of high hanging plants. A long spout may be the most appropriate when dealing with low lying seedlings and plants.
A Review of the Best Watering Cans
If looking for an indoor watering can to deal with your potted flowers or plants, you need something durable, and attractive that you won’t have to hide it from your friends. With its shiny and spotless body, this watering can is the real deal. The stainless steel construction ensures durability and lightness. This can come with a brushed surface which is pretty scratch resistant – you will not have to worry when it comes into contact with other utensils and cutlery in the house.
- Durable stainless steel construction
- An attractive design
- Easy to use – it is light with a long nozzle to reach the roots of the plants
- Scratch-free surface
- Comes with a one-year warranty
- Maybe too small when you have many plants you need to water
The thing about having steel watering cans with a long spout is their ease of use and attractiveness. This is one watering pot you will be proud having around your living room for everyone to see. It does not stain or scratch and is easy to clean. The water can is relatively light and easy to use. It is also low maintenance and may not need to worry about keeping it in perfect condition. However, this is a watering can for those with just a few plants in or around their homestead.
- Durable stainless steel surface
- Easy to use – has a comfortable handle and long spout to reach the roots
- A low maintenance product
- An attractive design for both indoor and outdoor use
- Maybe too small for those that have many plants to water
The good thing about plastic cans is that they are light and durable. This product is one highly rated watering can that may adequately fulfill your watering needs. It has a 144-ounce capacity adequate for indoor, as well as, outdoor watering. And to make it comfortable to use, the product comes with a tapered handle and a curved spout. You can use it on relatively high plants – the hanging types. This is a one construction product meaning that chances of leaks are minimal. Its flattened sides make it easy to store.
- Has a comfortable tapered handle
- Easy to use
- No leak construction
- Is relatively bigger than most other cans in the market
- The handle may be too thin for some people
- The flow of water may be too strong for some young plant
- The handle may also have sharp edges
This watering can carry a patented design that makes watering your plants an easy task – it makes it so easy that you will be looking forward to the task. Lifting and pouring are so much easier that it enhances your effectiveness in the exercise. If you have young plants that need to be handled with care, then this watering can will be sufficient to fulfill that need. It has a gentle rain pattern that regulates the flow of water from the can to ensure that it does not come out too strongly. This watering can also come with an inbuilt fertilizer dispenser to make your task of garden maintenance so much easier.
- Good design for a watering can
- Easy to use
- Has two different patterns to cover your plant needs
- Has an inbuilt fertilizer dispenser and pump
- The fertilizer dispenser may leak
This is a quality watering can that carries a relatively larger volume of water to cover several plants. The product is lightweight and has an easy to carry design. It is made from gauze steel and so it is a durable product. And to ensure that the product is rust resistant, it is covered with galvanized steel a coat of paint added. The watering can also has a removable rose that you can leave on if you need a gentler flow of water.
- Easy to carry and use design
- Made from a durable material
- A removable brass rose for a gentler pattern
- The price is on the higher side
The best watering can is easy to use, light, well-designed and is durable. If it is for indoor use, then you may want something attractive – just for show. Many products in this review would make a good choice but IMEEA Watering Can Pot beats them all. If you are in the market for a decent watering can that will not disappoint then this product may be the one which is the best for you. Happy gardening folks!