The grow light you choose can be the difference between a completely successful indoor garden or a drag. But how do you know which lights are best and which are worth ignoring?
Well, there are some factors that make one light better than the next. As a gardener, you should never compromise on the quality of your grow room accessories if your goal is to have a successful garden. The following is a review of the best T5 grow lights.
- 1 Top T5 Review Roundup
- 1.1 #1: iPower T5 4-Feet 4 Lamp 6400K Fluorescent Ho Tube Grow Light Fixture
- 1.2 #2: Grow Co. T5 Fluorescent Fixture 6500K HO Bulbs
- 1.3 #3: DuroLux T5 Grow Light (4ft 4lamps) DL844s
- 1.4 #4: Lightingwise 4 FT 6500K T5 HO Fluorescent Grow Light Bulbs
- 1.5 #5: VIVOSUN 4FT 54W 6500K T5 HO Fluorescent Tubes Warm White Grow Light Bulbs Pack of 5
- 2 So, what are T5 Grow Lights?
- 3 So Why Would I Need the T5 Lights?
- 4 Are there any Shortcomings Associated with the T5 Lights?
- 5 Things to Consider before you Purchase a T5 Grow Light
- 6 Conclusion
Top T5 Review Roundup
This is one of the most efficient grow lights that make having an excellent yield easy to accomplish – this is always the goal of every gardener. But how does this bulb help achieve this?
The 216W-rated bulbs achieve 20000 lumens and have an efficient reflector ensuring that up to 95% of the light is directed back to the plants – talk of an efficient bulb! But is that the only significant feature that the bulb has?
Well, it also comes with a daisy-chain plug for dynamic linking to other bulbs. The feature makes it easy to power up to ten fixtures using a single plug.
- Effective that ensures improved plant yields
- A daisy chain plug that makes it possible to use one plug to power up to ten fixtures
- Dual switches for effective control of the fixtures
- Some of the bulbs may be of poor quality
These have some of the highest quality components for high performance and durability – probably what your grow room or tent had been missing. There are also 6500K bulbs, ideal for the vegetative stages. The bulbs, therefore, ensure all-around plant growth.
Well, another feature that many may overlook but it’s essential is the multiple hanging options of these bulbs. It means you can fix them anywhere in the grow room to ensure efficiency.
- The highest quality components for high performance and durability
- There are 6500K bulbs, ideal for the vegetative stage
- Has capability of multiple hanging options
- An aluminum reflector for effective light distribution
- May only be ideal for the vegetative process
The high light output may be what your plants were missing to thrive. All parts of the plant need a decent measure of light, and an insufficient amount affects growth. But that’s not the only feature that ensures sufficient light distribution. There also the German Hammer-tone reflectors, responsible for reflecting up to 95% of light back – this is efficiency at its best.
- High light output bulbs for efficient light dissemination – up to 20000 lumens
- Highly efficient reflectors
- Comes with all the necessary accessories such as the 8ft power cord and hanging chains and hooks
- A daisy-chain plug that you can connect up five fixtures – convenient
- Two convenient switches that allow you to vary the light
- Not the best quality
This is among the brightest T5 grow lights – features up to 5000 lumens. It also features the bloom spectrum, ideal for the flowering stage. This means that your plants will have the lush green color that excites every gardener, in no time.
The light also demonstrates a high level of dependability by depreciating only about 8% meaning that it will serve you a long time.
- With up to 5000 lumens, it is one of the brightest grow lights for efficient plant growth
- Features bloom spectrum, perfect for the vegetative stage
- Does not depreciate that much, and is quite reliable
- Energy sufficient and hence cost effective
- Makes the plants healthy
- Not the best quality you will find
Vivosun is an established brand, and you can be sure their equipment is nothing but quality. But what are the features?
The bulb boasts a balanced light spectrum to prevent stretching and ensure optimal vegetative stage. And with a lifespan of over 20000 hours, this light lasts longer than any HID grow light.
- A balanced light spectrum to the benefit of the plants
- Has a long lifespan of more 20000hrs
- The light is safe for your plants – it nurtures them ensuring efficient growth
- They are economical with a low heat emission
- The shipping may cause breakage
So, what are T5 Grow Lights?
Grow rooms and grow tents are some of the terms gradually increasing in popularity in contemporary gardening literature. Indoor gardening is the new way of growing crops successfully using a controlled environment. But where do the T5 grow lights come in?
The T5s are fluorescent grow lights, and the term ‘T5’ denotes the size. Typically, the letter ‘T’ means tubular while the ‘5’ is the diameter in inches. Clearer now?
Unlike their width, the T5’s length varies and can either be 2 of 5ft. Depending on the fixtures, their weight can be between 10 and 30lbs. In the majority cases, the ballast is usually a part of the T5 fixtures, and so you may not need to worry about where you are going to place the light.
It may sound as if the T5s are similar to fluorescent bulbs. Are there any similarities? Are they the same thing?
Basically, the standard CFLs are made explicitly for human lighting and so come without the necessary features to function efficiently as grow lights. You would need to fix the light too close to the plants for any effect on the plants. However, they quickly run hot, and it is not strange if you woke up one day to find burned leaves.
On the other hand, the T5 lights are made for the sole purpose of use in the grow rooms.
So Why Would I Need the T5 Lights?
Well, we may not talk about energy efficiency as there are LEDs for that. But we can talk about cost. T5s are way cheaper than the LEDs, which is music to the ears of those starting out in indoor gardening.
But just because they cannot match their counterparts, the LEDs doesn’t mean that they are electricity spendthrifts. As a matter fact, T5s don’t use that much electricity to eat on your bottom line.
They are also quite cool, and chances of having scorched plants are minimal. You only need to suspend them a few inches closer to the plants – this may also mean efficient use of light based on the proximity of the light.
The T5s are also ideal for raising the plants through the vegetative stage. And unlike the high-pressure sodium lights, the T5s will not scorch the plants – pretty cool, literally! It also means that you are free to use a shorter tent – and you know what that means?
Yes, minimal expense on fixtures and reduced growing spacing. If you live in a warm climate, then there’s no argument about their suitability as they run cooler than other lights.
But do the T5s have a proven record of efficiency given all the fuss about LEDs? The simple answer is that T5s have been part of successful weed growing establishments for a long time. It is therefore not unusual to come across staked shelves of seedling thriving under these fluorescents.
Are there any Shortcomings Associated with the T5 Lights?
On their own, the T5 lights are not sufficient during the flowering stage. If anything, you will require the help of red spectrum lights to ensure a good harvest.
They also don’t last that long in comparison to the LEDs – their lifespan is about half that of LEDs. Another downside is on the requirement of ballast for them to function well.
What is this ballast? Well, this is a necessary fixture where T5s are concerned. The ballast help keep the fluorescent bulb from burning out as a result of drawing too much power. This fixture stabilizes the lights and prevents the flickers that would be harmful to the plants.
Things to Consider before you Purchase a T5 Grow Light
- Accessories: before you settle on any one grow light, determine if it comes with all the necessary accessories to suit your needs. For example, is the cable length sufficient for your needs? Are the replacement bulbs easy to find?
- Installation: it is wise to think about how you are going to install the lights. Is specialized help necessary? How much does it weigh?
- Budget: for the gardeners more conscious about their bottom line, such issues as the cost of electricity are vital. You may need to compare how much you are going to save with T5s and with the LEDs, over time. The cost of the light and its fixtures are worth a deep thought.
- Other Equipment: we mentioned that T5s are not adequate on their own. It is a good idea to think about the red spectrum lights in addition to purchasing the T5s for an all-around benefit to your plants.
The best T5 grow lights will nurture your plants to health through the growth stages. Any of the above products are good quality and will do their job sufficiently. However, you will agree with us that the biPower T5 4-Foot 4 Lamp is a product on a different level. But what makes it the best?
Well, it has a dual switch for proper control of the fixtures, daisy-chain link for connecting different fixtures and has a highly efficient reflector. This is one light that your plants will love.