Snow throwers are great when you want to shovel snow out of the driveway and clear the path. They come in handy during long, cold winters.
In the following article, we provide some information and review the best snow throwers available on the market today.
- 1 Reviewing the Top Snow Throwers on the Market
- 1.1 #1: Briggs & Stratton 1696737 Single Stage Snow Thrower with 208cc Engine
- 1.2 #2: Snow Joe Ultra SJ622E 18-Inch 15-Amp Electric Snow Thrower
- 1.3 #3: Greenworks 20-Inch 13 Amp Corded Snow Thrower
- 1.4 #4: Snow Joe Ultra SJ618E 18-Inch 13-Amp Electric Snow Thrower
- 1.5 #5: Snow Joe Ultra SJ623E 18-Inch 15-Amp Electric Snow Thrower with Light
- 2 So what are Snow Throwers?
- 3 Why Choose Electric?
- 4 Factors to Consider when selecting a Snow Thrower
- 5 Conclusion
Reviewing the Top Snow Throwers on the Market
Briggs & Stratton are an established brand associated with quality machinery. This thrower is 22 inches wide to clear the path of snow efficiently. It has a 208cc engine providing the necessary power you need. The machine also comes with oversized controls for a flawless operation of the machine. The snow thrower is compact ensuring easier maneuverability and storage.
- It is 22 inches wide for a larger snow clearing ability
- A powerful 208cc engine to plow into snow and clear it off the path
- It has oversized controls that provide easiness of operation
- Compact in size making it easier to maneuver
- Auger lined with wear-resistant rubber for durability
- The placing of the exhaust is not the best
- Can be a bit challenging to push uphill
Snow Joe is another company that has carved a niche in the market when it comes to snow throwers. The machine is 18 inches wide and clears snow from walkways and driveways with ease. This machine is easy to start and maintain as it does not have any oil or tune-ups – this saves you a considerable amount of time.
- Easily clears snows from walkways and driveways
- An easy to start and maintain machine – does not have tune-ups or oil
- Has a powerful motor that may move snow up to 720lbs each minute
- An auger with four blades that cut ten inches deep
- Easy start control saving time in the process
- Not heavy duty for high snowfall
- The discard chute may cover you in snow – not well-designed
Has a 13 amp motor that provides the necessary power to clear snow from the driveway preventing the formation of ice. And to ensure you avoid covering yourself or some areas with snow, the throw comes with an adjustable discard chute – how thoughtful? It can also throw as far as 20ft – quite the power!
- A powerful motor for efficient snow clearing
- Has an adjustable discard chute to keep snow from some areas
- It may throw as far as 20ft making sure it is entirely off the driveway
- It is easy to operate that you can use it as soon as you receive it
- Compact and lightweight for maneuverability and easier storage
- The auger is plastic, and that may make it poor quality
- Its turn-directional handle may break
This is yet another quality product from Snow Joe making an appearance on the list and for a good reason. The snow thrower is ideal for mid-sized walkways and driveways clearing snow quickly. This is an easy start machine that is also easy to maintain. The thrower comes with a 13-amp motor that may efficiently deal with up to 550lbs of snow.
- Ideal for mid-sized driveways and walkways clearing snow quickly
- An easy start machine, easy to maintain – does not have tune-ups, oil or gas
- A powerful motor that may quickly move up to 550lbs of snow
- Has a durable – abrasion and cold resistant – plastic auger for picking snow
- This is a relatively quiet machine that may not wake the neighbors early in the morning
- It is only suitable for mid-sized driveways
- Not easy to maneuver in areas with a significant amount of snow
- The snow chutes easily clogs – this can be frustrating
This machine is an instant start device that saves you considerable time especially when you are in a hurry. The snow thrower is convenient and has a compact shape – important for maneuverability and storage. It has an ergonomic grip with a well-designed discharge chute for probable efficiency.
- Easy start operation which also saves you considerable time
- Compact size for easier maneuverability and storage
- Well-designed discharge chute for efficiency
- It comes with a 20-watt light for those early morning hours that you need to clear the driveway
- May have trouble handling more than 4 inches of snowfall
So what are Snow Throwers?
These are just machines that make your life a little bit easier by helping you get snow out of the way. Snow throwers are the size of a typical lawnmower and help clear snow on small areas such as the driveway or the path in front of your house.
Snow throwers utilize augers to pick snow and throw it a distance.
Augers’ function is to loosen and throw the snow some distance. However, it usually does not throw snow far from the machine and does not dig deep.
Snow blowers are different from snow throwers, but they perform the same functions. Snow blowers are a little heavy duty compared to their counterparts. Basically, they push snow farther away and can work on larger areas than snow throwers.
Blowers make use of two-stage action to deal with the snow. First, the auger loosens and picks the snow. Secondly, the impeller sucks the snow from the auger and then acts like a fan to blow it away. This action means that the machine can dispel snow much farther from the device making them more efficient.
Snow throwers are ideal for individuals that receive a small amount of snowfall every year. However, blowers are for handling thick amounts of snow with ease. Throwers are lightweight and easier to use than their counterparts. That does not mean they are better over long distances.
Whether you prefer a snow thrower or blower, these winter machines save you a considerable amount of time that you would have spent shoveling. Of course, you have other things to do unless your goal is working out while clearing the driveway.
Why Choose Electric?
There are a bunch of good reasons why electric throwers are a favorite for many. The most obvious among them is their lightweight making them easier to maneuver. Your height or body stature does not matter as this case when it comes to using them – they are a breeze.
Electric models do not make so much noise, something those living around you will appreciate, especially if it’s early in the morning.
They are also cheaper, and you don’t have to dig deep into your pocket to purchase one. The electric varieties are safe as you will not have to store gas in the garage. They do not produce any air pollution and are easier to use – you do not have to struggle with a pull cable to start it.
Their maintenance is also a piece of cake in comparison to the other varieties – gas throwers demand more maintenance than the others.
Factors to Consider when selecting a Snow Thrower
- The Amount of Snow: if your area only gets light snow, then getting a heavy duty machine like a gas snow thrower will obviously be overkill. Something more lightweight that you can quickly use to clear the small layer of snow on your path is sufficient.If, however, your backyard is mostly covered with layers of snow, then you will need something that packs more power to overcome the resistance.
- Power Source: snow throwers come in different varieties using different power sources. Basically, the ideal thrower should make the snow clearing task pretty easier for you. Electric types are easier to use but only if you are dealing with light amounts of snow.If the thickness grows, then you will find the gas varieties as the better option. They will plow through that relatively thick snow with ease but at a much a louder sound.Battery powered varieties are convenient but may not pack the necessary power to go the long haul of it’s a significant area you have on your hands.
- Price: better quality throwers are not cheap to come by. However, if you need a machine but your savings say otherwise, then you can go the electric way. Gas-powered snow throwers are more expensive and demonstrate a significant amount of power when dealing with snow.
- Width: Both the throwers and blowers will come in varying widths. The broader varieties that can clear wider paths are more expensive and efficient. Depending on your budget and area you need to remove snow, you can choose the appropriate width for you.
The best snow thrower makes your life easier during those cold months. They help you clear snow off the driveway and walkways for easier movement. The good thing about electric throwers is that they are easier to operate and are low maintenance. All you need is a good cord, and you are good to go.
The best one from the above list is Briggs & Stratton 1696737 Single Stage Snow Thrower with 208cc Engine. It is 22 inches wide and comes with a 208 CC engine – unmatched qualities – for efficiency in clearing the snow. The auger is lined with rubber for a smoother operation and durability. With this snow thrower, you may actually enjoy snow clearing. You may want to check out our article on the top log splitters too.