If you are among those stuck with heating their homes using wood, then you will find electric log splitters as lifesavers. Winter months are notorious for making us feel immobile. We just want to brood in some corner or cuddle with thick blankets all day. Using an ax at such a time may seem a good idea to generate heat, but we all want the easy out.
Electric log splitters are miracle machines that make wood splitting a walk in the park. We review some of the best electric log splitters on the market so your decision making may be more comfortable.
- 1 Electric Log Splitter Reviews
- 2 The Different Types of Log Splitters
- 3 What to Look for when Buying the Best Electric Log Splitter
- 4 Conclusion
Electric Log Splitter Reviews
This a 4-tonne electric splitter with adequate force to deal with logs of up to ten inches diameter. The 1500 watts motor it utilizes runs on ordinary household current. It is all steel ensuring for durability and strength to handle heavy logs. You will not need to worry if you have several hardwood logs with you such as red and white oak as this machine will split them easily.
- An electric splitter with sufficient power to deal with logs of up to ten inches in diameter
- Runs on normal household current
- All-steel construction for durability and strength
- It is powerful enough to split some hardwood varieties
- You purchase the stand separately
- May be a little slower
Boss Industrial has carved a niche in the log splitter market and can be sure it is a quality product. The splitter comes with a powerful 2 HP motor that may make your log splitting a breeze. It packs 7 tons of force sufficient for home log splitting. The machine is also pretty easy to use as all you need is operate it using one hand. It has about 21-inch splitting area, perfect for your condition.
- A 2 HP motor making the log splitting task easy
- 7 tons of force to deal with most logs at your home
- You can handle it even with one hand
- It will efficiently use your electric current connection at home
- Cannot run off-grid
This 5-ton RAM splitter is powerful enough to get the job done and save you from the backbreaking tasks. This log splitter comes with a stand, stroke limiter and log tray, all designed to make your work much easier. It is a two-handed operation machine designed for safe operation. The log capacity is ten inches in width and 20.5 inches in length.
- Powerful enough to save you from the backbreaking log splitting
- Comes with several accessories designed to make your task much easier
- It is a two-handed operation machine for your safety
- A 10-inch wide and 20.5 in length log capacity to handle the log splitting task you may have at home
- The cylinder cycle time is pretty short
- It is also portable and lightweight for easier moving
- Not the most powerful for heavy duty splitting
The 3HP electric log splitter provides the necessary log splitting power to handle home log splitting tasks – it can easily handle up to 100 logs at the comfort of your home and easily. And should you need to transport it to where the logs are, you can do it quickly without much hassle – it is lightweight and comes with wheels. The log splitting capacity for this machine is 12-inch in diameter and 20.5 inches long. It has 2-hands operation as a safety feature for your benefit.
- Has power to handle most log splatting jobs at home
- The splitter is lightweight and has wheels for easier movement
- Sufficient log splitting capacity to handle most tasks
- Has a two-hands operation for safety
- It takes about six seconds to split a log
- Not the best in terms of power
- Not heavy duty for bigger and harder logs
You have probably heard about WEN, and they are among the best. This log splitter from WEN uses household current so that you don’t have to call an electrical handyman. It is a quiet and clean splitter, and you can use it in the garage or basement especially during those wet and cold days. You need two hands to operate this splitter, and so chances of losing a limb in the process are minimal.
- A 2HP machine that handles most of the home spitting tasks
- The motor utilizes household current and therefore no need for the handyman
- Quiet and clean to use indoors
- This is a two-hands operation log splitter for safety
- Comes with a log cradle for even splitting
- Very portable with relatively large never-flat wheels and comfortable grip
- Not adequate for hardwood logs and heavy duty use
The Different Types of Log Splitters
In every product category, you will find many types and brands all competing for the same customers. The same applies to log splitters.
Some factors should be considered when selecting a log splitter. For example, if you have various logs lying around, then the most appropriate splitter is the one that can easily handle them in the shortest time possible. Their design must be rugged and robust enough not to show any signs of strain. Freshly fallen and big logs will need the most potent varieties.
The source of power is another important factor when deciding the most appropriate machine for our needs. If you are mostly in the woods somewhere remote, then an electric variety will not be any good.
The Electric Log Splitters
These are the most popular based on their convenience, cost, and ease of use. The electric varieties are smaller and lighter and so easier to move around your home to where the logs are. You can keep them in the basement or garage as they are cleaner and produce less noise.
Electric log splitters are cheaper than others. They are easier to operate and maintain making them appropriate for home users.
The shortcomings of electric log splitters include their less power. They are not heavy duty to handle a significant number of logs. Then there is the issue of a cord that limits where you can use them.
Gas Log Splitter
These are more powerful and faster to handle a log splitting job quickly and efficiently. They are heavy duty and will handle a wide variety of wood. They are also quite portable as all you need is an adequate gas to complete a particular task.
However, the efficiency and power come at a price. You will need to reach deep into your savings to afford them.
Manual Log Splitters
These models are not powered by gas or electricity but rather, are operated manually. They are easier to manage, maintain and move around. However, they are just for the light log splitting jobs around your home.
What to Look for when Buying the Best Electric Log Splitter
The following are some of the factors you need to look out for if your goal is to get the best machine for the job.
- Horizontal/ Vertical: the vertical log splitters do not require you to lift the wood into the machine. They split wood wherever it is without so much hassle hence keeping you from sustaining back injuries. The log splitters are the heavy duty varieties you need to deal with wet wood – which is often harder to split. However, they are not ideal when you have a large pile to deal with.The horizontal log splitters are best when you have to deal with logs that are light and easy. They are ideal for home use where the size of logs is mall enough to lift onto the machine. These splitters are pretty low to make them usable.
- Brand: it’s always safe to purchase from popular brands as chances of getting low quality are minimal. The well-established brands have passed the test of time and are less likely to produce low quality.Among the popular brands include Boss Industrial. They are associated with innovative and high-quality products. Boss industrial have established themselves as front-runners in the log splitting machines industry. They have partnered with testing agencies such as CSA to guarantee the safety of their products.Wen is another popular power tools brand which has been in the industry since 1951. They are among the companies that played a critical role in the development of such power tools as electric jigsaw and chainsaw among others.Pow ‘R’ Kraft is heavy duty and reliable log splitters maker. Their products are durable and long lasting endearing themselves to clients. They demonstrate a high level of innovativeness and excellent customer service.
- The Size of your Woodpile: the broadest in you woodpile should determine the most appropriate machine for you. For example, if you have the majority six-inch logs on your hands, then a 4-ton splitter would just do fine. However, up to two-foot trunks will need a heavy duty machine such as a 30-tonner.
The best electric log splitter should be powerful enough to deal with the wood splitting tasks at hand. It should be safe to use, portable, durable and easy to use. Any of the listed products will make a decent choice. However, the best among them is the Pow’ R’ Kraft 65556 4-Ton 15 Amp Electric Log Splitter.
This machine has a 4-ton electric motor to split logs at your home. It can deal with logs that are as wide as ten inches. It is all steel to ensure it has a durable and robust construction.