Any Bermuda grass lawn keeper will tell you why this variety is among the best. Basically, Bermuda grass easily overcomes hot climate and limited amounts of water making it an ideal choice for you, any day.
Bermuda grass no doubt is quite an appealing choice, and you will love its feel. But lets not let appearances fool you. The grass is as tough as they come and proves to be a challenge if you’re not a lawn care business expert.
There are few mowers out there that can claim to keep this hardy variety under wraps. Below is a review of some of the best lawn mowers for Bermuda grass to choose from.
- 1 Bermuda Grass Mowers Full Reviews
- 2 What is Bermuda Grass?
- 3 Caring for Bermuda Grass Lawn
- 4 Conclusion
Bermuda Grass Mowers Full Reviews
The best lawn mower is without so much hassle. It is effective without the need of continually refueling, electrical cords and battery recharging. As a matter of speaking, this device ticks all the right spots to emerge as one of the best. It incorporates an innovative technology making it easy to push across the lawn.
- Hassle free and easy to use
- Innovative technology for easier pushing
- Incorporates a patent-pending inertia power that cuts through anything such as twigs
- Hardened and precision-ground blades that cut quickly without the need to touch the grass
- A durable lawn mower giving you a significant amount of service
- A functional grass discharge chute that throws the grass in the front, keeping your feet clean form the clippings and debris
- May have trouble cutting thick patches but you can try sharpening it adequately
- Only ideal for dry and down-to-the-ground mowing
This is another top mower from Fiskars and which best demonstrates their commitment to quality. Typically, this mower is not only eco-friendly but also incorporates an innovative technology that makes it easy to push. As a matter of fact, this machine is designed for all types of grass, demonstrating glide and cutting efficiency without the unnecessary contact – a mower worth the investment.
- A grass chute with a reversible mechanism throwing grass away from your feet
- Eco-friendly – doesn’t have any harmful effects on the environment
- Inset wheels ensuring that cases of uncut patches are minimal
- It is easy to use
- A durable stationary reel and precision-ground blades for efficiency
- It may skip some of the weeds that grow into ears
- Twigs will hinder the mowing process
This is yet another perfect machine for those with Bermuda grass lawns. Basically, the reel lawnmower boasts a 16-inch cutting width and an unbreakable steel side plate. And as opposed to rotary mowers that hack the grass exposing it to diseases and insects, the Earthwise 1715-16EW snip the blade without leaving any damage.
- Leaves clean snips for a healthier and attractive lawn grass
- It is quite easy to use
- It is eco-friendly and low maintenance – no engine to deal with
- The mower is lightweight and comfortable to push
- May be challenging to use on expansive lawns
- You may need to take several passes to achieve an even cut
Among the features that the Great States 415-16 16-Inch Reel Mower highlights that make reel lawn mowers among the best include their eco-friendliness, easy maneuverability, and durability. In particular, this machine is perfect for mowing that Bermuda patch you have lying around. This tool snips without tearing apart thus avoiding damage to the grass blades. And unlike some of the other reel lawn mowers on the market, this product comes with cushioned handgrips for more comfortable handling.
- An eco-friendly and easy to use option
- It is a low maintenance product
- Lightweight and easy to push, as well as, store
- Comes with an adjustable cutting height
- Features cushioned handgrips for comfortable handling
- The side plate is made of unbreakable steel
- May need to make several mowing rounds to get an even cut
- It may have a hard time handling taller and grass
This lawnmower features a 14-inch cutting width which is pretty much adequate for most lawns. But what sets this mower apart is its light weight – weighs only 19lbs – which makes it easy to maneuver and store. The lawnmower is easy to maintain – no gas, no oil, no engine.
- A 14-inch cutting width – perfect for low to medium length lawns
- Weighs only 19lbs making storage and maneuverability quite a breeze
- It is an easy to maintain a lawnmower
- It comes with sharp and durable blades
- Comes with a sturdy handle
- It is easy to assemble
- May not hold up for long especially if your yard gets overrun by weeds and tall grass
- The metal encasing may not be among the best
What is Bermuda Grass?
This is, in fact, a perennial variety that features a lush green color with a fine to medium texture. Bermuda grass does not require re-seeding, and it is one of the few types that thrive exceptionally on your yard – it is one of the ideal choices.
Ordinarily, Bermuda grass is preferred as a cover for golf fairways and five-star resorts – now you get the idea why it is among the best. So, why are people in love with it?
If not mentioning the fact that it’s a low-level maintenance grass, ideal for some of us that are busy for most of the day, Bermuda grass is quite hardy. It will stand tall among the harshest of conditions making your lawn stand out in the neighborhood.
However, this grass variety tends to turn to a brown shade during the winter months – not quite attractive. Another shortcoming lies in its unwillingness to thrive in places with a bit of shade – shade is quite essential in our yards, sometimes.
Caring for Bermuda Grass Lawn
Bermuda grass has a reputation of being among the most robust lawn grass variety to mow. But is this perception really accurate?
In ideal situations, Bermuda lawns should be reduced to the size of between one and one-and-half inches. The majority of lawnmowers you find around cannot achieve such a low-to-the-ground level without doing some considerable damage.
Injured Bermuda is not an appealing sight and can affect its health. However, you can avoid scalping by using the right kind of mowers. But what are these mowers that easily go so low without injuring the grass?
Reel mowers are typically the best choice when dealing Bermuda grass lawns. Reel mowers not only ensure excellent and healthy cuts, but they also help you achieve a golf course type of appearance – quite something, don’t you agree?
Even though reel mowers are a bit pricey in comparison to the traditional varieties, they are a worthy investment – the results literally speak for themselves when the tool supports the thriving of Bermuda grass.
But even with the best reel mower, avoid cutting more than a third of the grass to prevent grass stress. During fall, allow the grass to follow its natural course without interference, mowing when necessary.
The other question is on how you handle the clippings. Do you box them or throw them in a compost pit?
Studies show that leaving the Bermuda grass just at the same spot allows replacement of lost nitrogen to the soil eliminating the need to fertilize – a smart and convenient way of feeding and maintaining the lawn.
Yes, Bermuda grass is hardy – no argument about that. But does it mean that you are free from your lawn watering responsibilities? Not even close! Just like other types of lawn, Bermuda needs water but not that much. So how do you know your precious Bermuda is thirsty?
Well, thirsty Bermudas bow their blades slightly to reduce transpiration. Ideally, this grass variety should be watered once or twice a week.
The benefit of once a week watering include making Bermuda grass roots go deeper into the ground, enhancing the plants’ resilience – it is able to get water from deep down especially during the really dry and hot seasons. Deeper roots translate to a greener and healthier Bermuda – it’s as simple as that.
Six inches is a good watering depth for the grass – you can determine whether you have reached a good depth by simply using a screwdriver.
So which Features Make the Best Lawnmower for Bermuda Grass?
Knowing which features to look for helps you pick the right machine for the task at hand – mowing Bermuda. We have seen above that Bermuda is a special kind of grass to have on your yard. But it also needs the best lawn mower with the right features to complement its health and beauty.
- The Blade: to ensure healthy and even cuts, the blade should be splinter-free and feature between three and seven spiral blades. Sharpening should be once a fortnight.
- The Bed Knife: you will find the bed knife embedded horizontally to the bed bar. This cutting part should be well-angled to ensure accuracy.
- The handle: this is an important part of the mower as it determines its efficiency. The ideal handle should be splinter-free and comfortable to handle.
Bermuda grass underscores class and style. It is an appealing thing to have in your yard. However, you need to have the best lawnmower to ensure this variety of grass looks the best by efficient cutting. Each of the above reel lawnmowers will do an excellent job with your Bermuda grass lawn, but if you are looking of the best, then your search should stop at Fiskars 17 Inch StaySharp Plus Reel Mower (6207) in our opinion.
This top mower is easy to use and features a patent-pending inertia power that cuts through twigs easily. And as if that is not enough, the device boasts a grass discharge chute that throws debris and clippings at the front.