Every gardener has at one time wished that the weather was different so that the crop would do much better. If you are a weed grower, privacy and providing the best conditions for growth is critical. However, the weather or the prying eyes of your neighbors need not stop you from achieving your dream. The best grow tents allow you to efficiently plant flowers, herbs, and vegetables right inside your home.
Grow tents allow you to utilize the unused room in your house or the empty garage for something meaningful – you quickly transform the place into a productive one. It is not too shabby to convert the basement into an income generating room. Below is a review of some of the best grow tents available right now.
- 1 What is a Grow Tent?
- 2 A Review of Some of the Best Grow Tents
- 2.1 #1: Valuebox 48″x48″x80″ Indoor Mylar Hydroponics Grow Tent
- 2.2 #2: Oshion Indoor Hydroponics Mylar Grow Tent Room
- 2.3 #3: Growsun Horticulture Grow Tent for Indoor Plant Growing
- 2.4 #4: Apollo Horticulture Mylar Hydroponic Grow Tent for Indoor Plant Growing
- 2.5 #5: Ohuhu Grow Tent, 48″x 48″x 80″ Mylar Hydroponic Plant Growing Tent
- 3 Conclusion
What is a Grow Tent?
A grow tent is a strong fabric supported by metal poles and provide the necessary conditions for efficient plant growth. They are lightweight, and the inside is covered with surface material ensuring your plants are getting as much ‘sunlight’ as possible.
A Grow Tent for Plants and Marijuana Growing
In the last half-decade, laws on marijuana growth and use have changed in a good way. Now several states in the US have legalized cannabis. Consistent with this change, grow tents that provide the best conditions for cannabis cultivation have come into the market. Hobbyist marijuana growers love the convenience, stealth, and perpetual harvest. Grow tents offer all these requirements and more.
The Benefits of Using Grow Tents
Grow tents supports the utilization of limited space to grow a variety of plants. The shelters also allow you to provide your plants the right conditions for growth cheaply and without much effort. They allow you to shield your plants from the extremes of weather. You can imagine how your tomatoes would be doing in winter. Cannabis growers want privacy too and the best conditions to grow the plant and grow tents provide just that.
A grow tent allows you to fine-tune the conditions making them right for plant growth. You get to adjust lighting according to the stages of plant growth. There are specific types of plants that only do well in low lighting conditions making your current outdoor environment unsuitable.
Grow tents maximize the utilization of light making sure that every part of the plant gets adequate light. Sunlight only gets specific surfaces of the plants neglecting others. However, a grow tent utilizes a concept termed as diffusion reflection where light bounces exclusively on the surface of the shelter thereby reaching every part of the plant. Marijuana requires adequate lighting and grow tents ensure this.
Without a doubt, you will notice much difference between the plants in an outdoor environment and those in a grow tent. Those in the latter are much greener and resilient than those in your garden outside that you would think they are from some area of tropical rainforest.
Some plants such as marijuana have a sweet aroma that may attract the attention of people it should not be drawing at certain stages of plant growth. A good tent will contain this smell within the structure.
Stealth is critical when growing as it is not everyone that can dance to your own tune. The best grow tents contain the light, the strong smell and the plant away from the plying eyes of passerby.
Grow tents are constructed of a sturdy material that helps keep the bugs and insects away from your plants.
The grow tents are also portable and light. Should you feel the need to transport the tent to a different spot, you can do so without much ado and damage to the plants.
What you need to consider when choosing a grow tent
- The available space: it would go without saying that the space and the number of plants you want in a space will determine the kind of tent to go for. In the majority of the time, it is one plant per square foot. However, you can go with what suits you best.
- The canvas density: insects and other bugs are always prowling about searching for an easy plant to devour. You should not make it easy for them by choosing a genuinely thick and hardy canvas material. Dense tents are also lightproof – they make sure light stays inside as it should. It also keeps the unwanted light where it should – outside and away from the plant.
- Zipper quality and build: there is usually no need of having a high-quality tent only to have a weak quality zipper – defeats the purpose. The zipper is one part of the tent that will take a significant amount of tension, and if it gets damaged quickly, then that is a problem. The tent would be less efficient as some of the light will escape through the gap and the malevolent bugs will squeeze into it.
- Ventilation: your plants will need some fresh air time and time again. The tent you are going for should have adequate ventilation ports which can be closed at will.
- Sturdy bars: the heavy canvas material will need a strong foundation to stay up. You would not want a wobbly looking structure that looks as if it will crash on you anytime. Therefore, determine the quality and make of the frame and bars before you can get your wallet.
- Reflection: this is one of the most important qualities that you should never overlook as it determines the effectiveness of the tent. Mylar is a high-quality material on the inside of the tent responsible for hydro-establishing.
A Review of Some of the Best Grow Tents
This grow tent has a very tough canvas material for light blocking and odor escape prevention. The tent also has sturdy metal poles that keep the tent standing. The pests and other rodents may be prevented from getting in by the durable material.
One standout feature of the tent is the innovative viewing window that allows you to check the progress of the plant without interrupting it. You will also be able to pick through without the need to open the whole thing. The tent will also not take up much space – it is compact.
The frame of the tent is heavy duty steel powdered for additional strength.
- An innovative viewing window where you can easily check the progress
- Sturdy canvas material
- Easy to set up
- It is compact
- Have a great customer service
- There may be problems with the zipper – getting caught
The best grow tents in the market feature a reflective material to distribute the light to all parts of the plant. This Oshion product has 99% mylar – a reflective material. It blocks any escape of the light ensuring that your plants get all the necessary light to make them healthy.
It is easy to set up – the pole has corner connections and is easy click that you will not need everyone in your neighborhood to help put it up.
The grow tent is constructed of a super thick material, durable and tear proof meaning that you will benefit from the shelter for a long time. It is clean as it features a spill tray. The zipper may be efficient making sure no light or bugs go through. However, it does not clasp with other zippers well.
- Very easy to set up
- Durable canvas material – thick and hardy
- The internal lining is 99% reflective material
- Metal frame providing stability
- Good value for money
- Not appropriate for those looking for higher heights
- The zipper could be better
One standout feature of this product may be the highly durable material. The material is waterproof and tear-proof meaning that the risks of accidental mishaps that destroy the tent are minimal.
The metal frame is also heavy duty to provide the appropriate security and stability. The corners are also metallic for strength. It has metal zippers that will not break under any pressure. Should you feel the need to move the tent, you can easily do so with just a push to the right spot.
- Good stitching and durable canvas material
- Easy to move if need be
- Double-layer stitching
- Thick zippers
- Has a sturdy structure
- A button design that makes it easy to move
- Setting up the tent is easy
- May have pinhole spots on the zippers
- There could be a problem with the zipper
Apollo Horticulture sells various versions of the grow tent, and you will need to confirm the one you want and which suits your needs. Generally, the tent carries an attractive design which may make your indoor garden appealing to anyone that sees it. The supporting poles are metallic for security and stability.
Like other high-quality grow tents, this Apollo culture features a 100% reflective material to keep all the light, heat and humidity within the tent. This means that the tent may provide the necessary environment for your plants.
- Easy to assemble – has an instructional manual
- Changeable floor tray to keep your grow tent clean
- Large doors for easy access
- A 90-day guarantee
- Metal corners and joints
- The quality of the stitching could be better
This product is highly reflective – 98% mylar lining and so it can easily trap the light inside. It is constructed from extra-thick canvas that keeps odor from leaking out and the insects from coming inside. The tent also has double ventilation to ensure that air is circulating as it should, providing the necessary conditions for germination as a result.
The tent is easy to assemble as the parts come with letters to guide you where each piece should go. Disassembly for cleaning or moving is also quite easy.
- Easy assembly and disassembly
- Easy to move from one point to the next
- Good ventilation
- Sturdy material
- Highly reflective material
- Welds on the corners are not sturdy
- Light may escape through the zipper
The best grow tent is thick and sturdy to protect your plants from bugs and external light. The zipper quality and build should make it easy to operate, as well as, prevent any light escape. It should have sturdy bars, and the reflection should be good to allow efficient distribution of the light.
Many of the above products fulfill this requirement but Valuebox 48″x48″x80″ Indoor Mylar Hydroponics Grow Tent will make an excellent choice – and especially so for marijuana growers. It satisfies the majority of the requirements and goes further to include a suitable viewing window. You do not have to open the tent to see your plant’s progress. Remember also that many of the options mentioned are also great grow tents for marijuana. Happy gardening!