The majority of people believe that garden tractors are especially for those people with large tracts of land. However, there are smaller versions to satisfy your needs if your piece of garden is also small. And why should you purchase a garden tractor?
Well, these tractors make your task of gardening or mowing the lawn so much easier. You do it with minimal effort and quickly. Most importantly, you achieve a higher level of efficiency – this is apparently your ultimate goal.
The following is a review of some of the best garden tractors to ensure you give your garden or lawn some TLC.
- 1 Choosing a Garden Tractor That’s Right For Your Needs
- 2 Best Garden Tractor Reviews
- 2.1 #1: Husqvarna 960430211 YTA18542 18.5 hp Fast Continuously Variable Transmission Pedal Tractor Mower
- 2.2 #2: Poulan Pro P46ZX Briggs V-Twin Pro 22 HP Cutting Deck Zero Turn Radius Riding Mower
- 2.3 #3: Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro Series Kohler Hydrostatic Gas Front-Engine Riding Mower
- 2.4 #4: Poulan Pro 960420182 Briggs 15.5 hp Automatic Hydrostatic Transmission Drive Riding Mower
- 2.5 #5: Husqvarna 967324101 V-Twin 724 cc Zero Turn Mower
- 3 Conclusion
Choosing a Garden Tractor That’s Right For Your Needs
It can sometimes seem a bit challenging to choose one garden tractor over another. The appearance alone can be a bit confusing, and the specs may overwhelm you – getting a machine with so much power would be overkill on a small plot lawn. The best thing is first to decide what your needs are and then choose a tractor on that basis.
The following guide includes some of the considerations to help chose the best garden tractor for your garden.
- The Size of your Lawn/ Garden: This is the first critical factor you need to consider as it would not make sense bringing in tractor only for it to emerge as a non-fit. If your piece of garden or lawn is less than an acre, then a 32 to a 40-inch deck will do just fine. The 46 to a 48-inch deck is most appropriate for those whose piece of land is up to 2 acres.Anything above 2 acres is deserving of a 48 to 54-inch deck machine – those who much is given, much is expected. So go with the right device worthy of the land or lawn you have.
- Terrain: the majority of people have even terrain, and so the kind of tractor they go for is just perfect. However, you may be one of those with uneven terrain, and in such a case, tractors with deck wheels are great in that context.
- Convenience features: this should actually be the last factor to consider. In most cases, convenience features are just there to make your gardening or other tasks pleasurable. For example, cruise control and automatic transmission make it fun.Others like an adjustable seat, more leg room, and cup holders make you look forward to the gardening tasks.
- Obstacles: If there are obstacles to negotiate, then you will need to consider the turning radius of your tractor. Mostly, the better it is, the more obstacles it can negotiate while working on your lawn or garden.You may come across a ZTR mower meaning that it can easily spin. This is for people with numerous obstacles, and the typical tractor may have a problem with it.
- Entry: it would be very disappointing to throw all your savings on the tractor only to find that it cannot go through the garden gate or shed for storage – this would mean spending more to accommodate it.To avoid all this unnecessary hassle, you need to measure the width of the gate and determine whether your choice of tractor would fit and if necessary changes are required.
- Additional Needs: there are many ways you can make use of a tractor. Typically, you should determine all the tasks you are going to have the tractor perform and choose the most versatile to fulfill all of them.Maybe you need a machine that will dethatch, aerate and remove snow. There are also machines that come with functionality life pick up and spraying – this would be perfect for fall months where deciduous tree are numerous. Ideally, the tractor that will serve all your needs is apparently the best – the key word here is practicality.
- The Storage Factor: you cannot just leave your tractor outside day in day out. The elements have a way of ensuring your machinery depreciates in a way that only makes you frown. To avoid these nasty situations, it is essential to have somewhere like a shed or garage just for it.
- 2-Wheel or 4-Wheel Drive: it goes without saying that the 4-wheel drive tractors are more expensive than their 2-wheel counterparts. The extra investment on a 4-wheel is sometimes not worth it if your garden is on a flat surface. However, you can go all out for the 4wheeler if you need extra power to negotiate hilly and muddy surfaces – the 2wheeler will struggle here folks.
Best Garden Tractor Reviews
#1: Husqvarna 960430211 YTA18542 18.5 hp Fast Continuously Variable Transmission Pedal Tractor Mower
This is among the most efficient riding mower tractors with quality results. And more importantly, the tractor has a fast auto transmission you can control with peddle. As a matter of fact, the riding mower does not require a significant amount of power to drive. And to make it easier to wash, the tractor has a deck wash port.
There is no assembly needed to make this machine work after you receive it. All you need to do is add gas, and you are good to go – it’s one of those purchase and use right away products.
- Efficient auto transmission that requires minimal maintenance
- No assembly needed
- Smooth transmission for enjoyable operation
- Well built
- A reasonable turning ratio
- At about 300lbs, this product is quite cumbersome to transport from door to door
- Not a 4wheel drive tractor and may have a problem working uphill
Many people are afraid to purchase a mower or garden tractor because they are not sure if it can apply to their piece of garden with so many obstacles. However, with Poulan Pro P46ZX, you are well covered. It is a zero-turn radius machine that may also offer you a high level of comfort.
This riding mower has probably a great transmission allowing you a high level of maneuverability. The capability to move each wheel independently will enable you to go any direction even sideways.
Probably one of the most exceptional features is the zero-turn radius that cuts your activity using the machine in half. If you are cutting grass, you will enjoy doing it around trees and other obstacles – the easier it is, the more enjoyable it gets.
- Zero turn machine
- High level of efficiency and durability
- Easy to operate
- Maximum maneuverability through hydro-wheel transmission
- Come with other functional features such as a mulching kit
- The quality of the deck could have been better
- Probably not the best on steep inclines
This is one affordable tractor that may prove very useful in your garden or lawn. It comes with hydrostatic transmission making driving quite easy for you – of course, gardening should be fun, and this tractor makes sure of that. The 18HP engine it comes on is quite sturdy and makes any task you throw at it a breeze.
The hydrostatic transmission makes it riding it an easy task – you will not need to keep shifting now and then. All you need to do is push the shaft, and you are off to your activity.
- Easy to use
- A strong and comfortable tractor
- A powerful engine
- Hydrostatic transmission that eliminates the need for shifting
- Has a comfort-grip steering
- There may be safety issues with the seat
- The oil burning rate may be on the high side
This 42’’ mower has an efficient flow of air that it takes in from the top deck. The thing about hydrostatic transmission is that they are easy to use. You will not need higher skill level to operate this tractor.
The 155 HP Briggs & Stratton engine is high performance as well as efficient. This ensures you have the necessary power as you need it. And to ensure that it can handle rough terrain, the front axle is oscillating. This capability also allows you to cut close to obstacles.
- Efficient flow of air
- Has optional attachments for other functionality like mulching
- Easy hydrostatic transmission that anybody can ride it
- High performance and dynamic engine
- The front axle is oscillating
- Lacks some of the features you may find in other mowers
You may by now have realized Husqvarna is an authority in gardening supplies. As the manufacturer is quick to insist, this tractor makes mowing or other activity an event rather than a chore – isn’t that a beautiful thing, to say the least? This machine screams simplicity regarding it’s operation that you can just hop on and off you go.
The machine has a rugged frame that adequately protects the inside. This is especially good when using the tractor on uneven surface. And with rear wheel and swivel driving, this mower ensures you can deal with a patch up to the last portion.
- Makes mowing or gardening fun
- Simple to use
- A rugged piece of machine to withstand constant use
- Rear back and swivel wheel driving for more efficiency
- The automatic break may fail leading to risk hazards
- Has a noisy engine
- The riding can sometimes feel rough even when dealing with smoother terrain
Efficiency and simplicity are two critical factors that you first think of when choosing a garden tractor. After all, it is supposed to make your work easier. You will also need it to be easy to deal with when you need to store it or when moving between spaces. As a matter of fact, all the above products can do a pretty good job. However, Husqvarna 960430211 YTA18542 is one good machine above the rest.
It has a smooth and comfortable transmission, is versatile and is well-built. Its turning ratio is also excellent and it increases your efficiency – this obviously what you want most. There are also other best garden tractor reviews you can consider checking out.