Every established gardener has several tools that make their gardening tasks pretty easy. In the pruning department, a pruning saw is one functional tool for clean cuts and which is easy to use. Its safety and convenience are other features that make it quite desirable.
You can tuck away the folding saw against your body when on a camping trip or hike since the sharp, menacing teeth usually are kept away from the skin. However, not all products on the market can be said to be quality. We have taken the time to review some of the best folding saws so that you can make the right decision when shopping.
- 1 The Reviews: Top Recommended Folding Saws
- 2 So what is the benefit of Pruning?
- 3 How to Prune Using a Folding Saw
- 4 Essential Factors to Consider when Buying a Folding Saw
- 5 Conclusion
The Reviews: Top Recommended Folding Saws
This is among the largest folding saw, and this makes them appropriate for big branches. It has up ten inches of cutting capacity for speed and efficiency. The folding saw is an excellent companion for those on an off-road adventure like on horseback, motorcycle or ATV. And for enhanced portability, the product comes with a carrying case you throw over the shoulder – quite convenient.
- Large to handle even the big branches
- Has up to ten inches of cutting capacity for effectiveness
- Ideal for off-road adventures
- A carrying case for the folding saw making it easy to carry
- Easy to use folding saw
- May not be appropriate for pruning small branches
This is one attractive folding saw that easily extends to 10ft. The foldable tree saw has a compact design for more comfortable transportation. For durability, the blade is carbon sk5 steel. Has a locking extension system that makes it easy to use and carry it in a bag. The folding saw is also versatile as you can easily extend it or detach it as needed for different uses.
- Carries an attractive design that would interest anybody
- Has a compact design making it easier to transport
- Carbon steel for durability and sharpness
- A locking extension system – ease of use
- It is a versatile saw – extendable and detachable for various applications
- Can easily extend to 10ft for an extended reach of those far away branches
- As a pole saw, it is not the best
- Has many plastic parts making it less durable
If you have a bunch of roses or other kinds of flowers, then this folding saw may be ideal as a pruning tool. It has a folded blade and three-sided teeth for efficiency in pruning. The handle has a comfortable curved handle and excellent grip for extended use. It also has a foldable edge to protect you from injury when carrying.
- A curved blade and three-sided teeth for efficiency
- An ergonomically designed handle for a more extended period of use
- Has a foldable blade for more comfortable and safe transportation
- Has hardened teeth for an extended period of use pruning
- The blade may easily bend when in use
A general purpose blade that you can use for any activity you have on your hands. And to ensure a comfortable grip, the handle is soft plastic with a leather strap. The XT teeth the saw has, are specially coated to prevent rusting and reduce friction. The folding saw carries an excellent design for campers, hunters and wildlife enthusiasts. Should you feel the need to replace the blade, you are free to do so as it is only in place through a large screw.
- A general purpose blade for cutting wood and other material like plastic
- An ergonomically designed plastic handle for a better grip and comfort
- XT teeth specifically coated with a particular substance to avoid rusting and friction
- An excellent design for outdoor lovers such as campers and hunters
- It has a safety lock to ensure efficiency and safety
- Has an easy to replace blade
- Made in Sweden – quality and durable
- The teeth not fine enough to act as a bone saw
- May not be appropriate for some activities like fetching firewood or wood processing – a bit on the shorter side
A quality and compact handsaw appropriate for a variety of activities such as camping and gardening. This blade has hardened triple-cut razor teeth for efficiency and durability. The handle is ergonomically designed with antiskid qualities for a better grip when working.
- A compact folding handsaw that is pretty easy to carry around
- Multifunctional as you can use it for gardening activities and pruning
- Triple-cut razor teeth that are pretty efficient
- Hardened teeth for durability
- An ergonomically designed handle for a good grip when working
- A plastic scabbard for safety
- May sometimes prove hard to open
So what is the benefit of Pruning?
Pruning is one of the fundamental plant maintenance activities that involve the removal of individual plant sections to enhance plant health and growth. Various parts can be cut in a pruning exercise, but the most typical include branches and shoots.
When you cut a branch, the exposed part is quickly covered by callus tissue and together with other chemical reactions help wall the section off from the rest of the plant. The best folding saw minimizes wounding, and the plant heals faster. Chances of contracting diseases significantly diminish, and the plant becomes healthy.
Pruning is vital as it aids in controlling the size and appearance of the plant. You may have a particular landscape or impression you want your backyard to achieve, and some branches may be in the way. Pruning makes sure that such branches are removed.
How to Prune Using a Folding Saw
Before jumping right into it, make sure you have the right clothing to prevent the penetration of thorns that prick your skin – if dealing with roses and such. Safety goggles and gloves may also be vital.
The next step is identifying the right wood to preserve. It must be healthy and straight. Don’t be in a rush when selecting as the folding saw needs careful handling. A slip can bruise the bark of a tree leading to an infection.
Find a comfortable position to cut at the right angle and make sure to anticipate the direction the branch will fall so you can avoid it.
To avoid unnecessary splits, cut the areas of the branch that are massive first and then proceed to cut it completely.
And when cutting, make sure the strokes are slow and steady. Rushing can result in bruising of other branches you intend to preserve. The pull stroke is what cuts the branch and so make sure you are doing it with precision.
If a splinter occurs when cutting the branch, then use the saw to flatten it to prevent problems later on.
Essential Factors to Consider when Buying a Folding Saw
The primary goal is to get a folding saw most appropriate for your situation or the activity you will mostly be doing.
- The Blade: there is a general consensus among those in the know that curved blades are best for small branches and straight ones for big and thick ones. Gardeners mostly dealing with small plants like roses and peace lilies are better off using shorter curved blades as opposed to the long straight ones.
- User Comfort: this comes from a good handle design and balancing of the entire blade. Make sure the grip is ideal for the task you will be doing. Generally, it should be compatible with the size of your hand.If you are among those with small hands, a broader longer handle will definitely be uncomfortable. Online shoppers may not have the benefit of testing the folding saw. However, user reviews may provide all the necessary information they need to determine whether the saw is appropriate.
- Righty or Lefty: most products seem as if they are made for the majority users who are right-handed. Folding saws often come with an operable rock and are susceptible to this factor. If you are a lefty, make sure the tool you are getting is favorable for you.
- The Teeth: this factor will determine the folding saw’s efficiency. Pay particular attention to TPI or in other words, Teeth Per Inch. The bigger the TPI number, the better as they will give a cleaner cut. Big teeth are also better than the small ones. They cut faster, and so you don’t stay in one place doing the same thing – they make your task easier.
- The Reviews: definitely, a large number of users saying the same thing about a particular product know what they are talking about. They know both the benefits and shortcomings of the product and are better placed to comment on them.
- The Cost: most people want products at the lowest price possible. However, low cost and quality may not always see eye to eye. Quality should always come before the cost but ideally, find the middle ground.
Every gardener knows the benefit of having a versatile tool in their collection. The best folding saw helps complete a host of activities around the garden and the most important among them, pruning. Each of the listed products has associated strengths and weaknesses, but the best among them is Silky New Professional Series KatanaBoy Folding Saw.
This Japanese made folding saw comes with up to ten inches of cutting capacity – great for the outdoors. It comes with a back carrying case making it easy to bring along. And just like the infamous samurai sword, this folding saw is sturdy and long-lasting.