Zero-turn mowers are undoubtedly some of the most advanced lawn mowing machines you will find anywhere. But what makes them so unique?
Well, unlike the other riding mowers, the zero-turners utilize the rear wheels to move. As a result, the mowers achieve an unmatched level of maneuverability and speed. In fact, these machines cut so close to obstacles that you may not need any other tool to trim, thereafter.
The best commercial zero turn mowers are heavy-duty machines. They are the kind of devices that will tirelessly deal with expansive lawns and various types of vegetation on your yard without showing signs of stress.
- 1 Zero Turn Mowers Reviewed
- 1.1 #1: Ariens Zoom 50 – 21hp Kohler 6000 Series V-Twin 50″ Zero Turn Lawn Mower
- 1.2 #2: Husqvarna MZ61 27 HP Zero Turn Mower, 61-Inch
- 1.3 #3: Husqvarna 967334101 MZ54S 25V Commercial Zero Turn Mower, 54″/Twin
- 1.4 #4: Poulan Pro P46ZX Briggs V-Twin Pro 22 HP Cutting Deck Zero Turn Radius Riding Mower, 46-Inch
- 1.5 #5: Troy-Bilt Mustang 46 22HP 46-Inch Zero-Turn Mower
- 2 Why Choose a Zero-Turn Mower?
- 3 What to Look for when Purchasing a Zero Turn Riding Mower
- 4 Conclusion
Zero Turn Mowers Reviewed
What makes Ariens Zoom 50 – 21hp Kohler 6000 Series V-Twin one of the best commercial zero turn mowers is its top of the range features. So which are these features worth the particular attention? For starters, the mower comes with a 50-inch cutting width – adequate if you have a large lawn or need to use it commercially.
- A large cutting deck width for efficient mowing
- A powerful V-Twin engine rated at 21HP for efficient lawn mowing – quite heavy-duty
- Has a decent speed of 6 MPH for quick mowing – some of have so much to do and lawn mowing need not take too long
- The frame is fully welded steel for durability
- May not be the best for heavy-duty use
- Features a stamped steel deck which is second-rate to the fabricated decks
The word is, you can never go wrong with a Husqvarna brand when it comes to agricultural power tools, and this mower will naturally tell you that. The MZ61 27 HP Zero Turn Mower has one of the most massive decks and most powerful engines to handle heavy-duty mowing – it is a machine built for those with bigger than average lawns.
- A robust 27 HP engine for commercial and heavy-duty use
- Feature a 61-inch cutting deck – one of the largest
- A V-Twin engine from Briggs and Stratton – reliable and powerful
- Comes with a hydrostatic transmission
- An easy-to-use cutting deck lift peddle
- Has an efficient cutting system featuring three blades
- A separate collection system is needed
- Quite expensive
If you are looking for something heavy-duty and efficient, then you have an ideal candidate in Husqvarna 967334101 MZ54S 25V mower. What sets this mower apart is the utilization of innovative technology of air induction mowing. What does this mean? Well, the mower draws air from below and above for a better grass lift and cutting. It has a powerful 15HP engine for efficient grass mowing even on steep terrains – quite ideal.
- Has air induction mowing for efficiency
- A rugged 15HP engine for endurance cutting
- A rugged and flat-stock-steel-reinforced cutting deck
- Features decent deck size – 54 inches that leave no uncut patches behind
- No assembly needed – can use upon receipt
- Does not come with a bagger
- There may be challenges with the warranty
A 46-inch deck may not be the biggest, but it is a decent size for medium and large lawns. Poulan Pro P46ZX Briggs V-Twin Pro features a stamped and reinforced deck for durability- it will give you a significant amount of service. The Briggs Stratton engine is robust and reliable – pushes the mower across different terrains, efficiently. It also features an EZT transmission where it is possible to control each wheel.
- A durable 46-inch deck
- Comes with a powerful engine to go the mowing distance
- EZT transmission hydro gear and an electric clutch for efficient maneuverability
- An attractive and sturdy design – a great feature to have in front of your yard
- Reduced mowing time
- Durable wheels to support the machine for a long time
- Does not have a bagger
- There may be challenges with the warranty
- The deck may not be the most durable
Some of the highlight features associated with this mower include a powerful Briggs & Stratton engine and a relatively full deck. This means that you have a reliable machine that performs at an exceptional level. It saves you time as it covers a bigger mowing space. It also has a high back seat measuring 18 inches to support your mowing.
- A big deck for more significant landscapes
- A sturdy and robust mower to deal with a variety of landscapes
- Easy to control – 360-degree maneuverability
- A high back and comfortable seat, ensuring you enjoy your mowing
- Comes with ergonomic lap bars, fitting for riders of various sizes
- A zero-degree turning for mowing efficiency around obstacles
- May not be effective across hillsides
Why Choose a Zero-Turn Mower?
Of course, no one loves the hassle of manually mowing the grass – just ask anyone. There may be a few that will say something about keeping fit and being an enjoyable chore. However, if they had a choice, they would choose the easy way out so that they can, at last, enjoy the rest of their weekend.
Zero-turn mowers make the overall lawn mowing chore quite a breeze. They are faster, efficient and less physically demanding. Who wouldn’t choose to ride one and have fun as they cut the grass to size in place of the manual way?
Zero-turn mowers demonstrate a high level of maneuverability which the standard ride on mowers can’t match. They may be a bit pricier than their counterparts, but they are every bit worth the investment – anyone that has one will tell you as much, apparently. Their rear wheels allow the machine to turn quickly around obstacles – no patches of grass left.
What to Look for when Purchasing a Zero Turn Riding Mower
Riding mowers are not all the same. They are quite different depending on some factors. However, the best zero turn riding mowers all share the same qualities that are easier to identify. The following are some of the elements to consider so that you may get a decent mower for your lawn.
The size and power of the engine are two factors that are of critical importance when it comes to riding mowers – it’s what under the hood that makes the difference. A more powerful rear engine means more money that you pay. However, commercial models need a powerful engine to overcome the stress associated with a high level of usage.
Basically, there are two types of engines, riding mowers come in. There are single cylinders, as well as, V-Twin engines. The single cylinder varieties may cost less, but they cannot match the power of their counterparts, the V-Twins.
A V-Twin will feature better mileage, more power, and less noise – they are ideal for heavy-duty use. And when it comes to durability, the V-Twins will last a decent amount of years performing at the highest level. They are also versatile as you can occasionally use them to tow a few things here and there – something like a mini-tractor.
ZTR V-Twins have the speed and the power to work effectively. However, you may need to consider whether you would prefer speed at the expense efficiency – you cannot have it both ways, optimally.
The more comfortable the seat, the more enjoyable the mowing experience. Such factors as the design, the height at the back and armrests are essential factors to consider. Ideally, an ergonomically-designed seat will offer optimal comfort for years.
No one fancies having a piece of equipment or tool for just a few years. However, this is usually what happens when you run for the cheap product – cheap is expensive, at all times.
Remember to check the cutting deck material. The deck should be fabricated material as opposed to stamped as they offer more durability and are rugged.
The other small detail you need to check is, of course, the deck size. Ideally, you should choose a mower that comes with a broader deck since it does a better job of not leaving any patches behind. However, let the size of your lawn guide you in selecting the most appropriate machine.
The larger deck is perfect for those expansive lawns but may be overkill for smaller ones – you can imagine trying to maneuver a big deck on a small yard, just doesn’t fit. But always remember that bigger decks are complemented by bigger and powerful engines. So make a wise decision in that regard. And what do we mean by that?
Well, there are lawn mowers on the market that feature large decks but with a smaller engine capacity – there is always a product for the price you are willing to pay. However, these machines may obviously not be up to the task, apparently. Match a large cutting deck with a powerful engine to accrue the necessary benefits.
The best commercial zero-turn mowers demonstrate a high level of durability, maneuverability, and efficiency. Choosing the best may be a little tricky, but the above suggestions hopefully point you in the right direction. Our top choice among the five is Ariens Zoom 50 – 21hp Kohler 6000 Series V-Twin 50″ Zero Turn Lawn Mower.
The mower comes with a 50-inch fully-welded cutting deck, a powerful engine and a high level of maneuverability for efficient mowing.