Everyone appreciates a well-maintained lawn and garden. However, not many people are aware of the work that goes into achieving it.
Any serious landscaper or homeowner has two essential tools – the lawn mower, and of course, the weed eater.
The lawnmower has its limits though and cannot match the string trimmer in making the final touches on your lawn or garden. The best commercial weed eater efficiently whacks the long grass and subdues that ugly looking weed. But the million dollar question is, which is the best? We will tell you in a moment.
- 1 Weed Eater Products Review Guide
- 1.1 #1: Hitachi CG23ECPSL 22.5cc 2-Cycle Gas Powered Solid Steel Drive Shaft String Trimmer
- 1.2 #2: Greenworks 14-Inch 40V Cordless String Trimmer
- 1.3 #3: Worx WG163 GT 3.0 20V Cordless Grass Trimmer/Edger with Command Feed
- 1.4 #4: BLACK+DECKER LSTE523 20V Max Lithium POWER COMMAND Easy Feed String Trimmer/Edger
- 1.5 #5: BLACK+DECKER LST300 20V Lithium Trimmer/Edger, 12″
- 2 So Why Use a Weed Eater?
- 3 What do you look for when selecting the Best Weed Eater?
- 4 Conclusion
Weed Eater Products Review Guide
This gas-powered trimmer packs some considerable power to ensure your front yard is as clean as you desire it to be. The Hitachi CG23ECPSL features a two-stroke engine with sufficient force to deal with the toughest of weed – they don’t stand a chance. This weed eater has a straight 69.6″ shaft for a better reach and reduced fatigue – weed removal was never this easy.
- A powerful 22.5 cc engine to handle the tasks at hand adequately
- Features a 69.6″ long and straight shaft for ease of use
- An anti-vibration system for reduced fatigue and discomfort
- S-start system for more comfortable engine start
- Weighs about 10lbs making it easier to move around with
- Easier to use
- Has plastic parts that may easily break
- There may be problems with the throttle after a period of continued use
For those that want a convenient weed trimmer with zero emissions, then this battery-powered model is a great choice. The product has a brushless motor for enhanced efficiency and low noise – your neighbors will not show up on your lawn early in the morning with a clenched fist. It is easy to start and use – good stuff! The machine has an easy-start system that will not waste your precious time.
- Has zero emissions and hence environmentally friendly
- Low noise for comfort in use
- Easy to start and use
- Replaceable bulk strings are available
- Straight and long – no need to bend
- The battery is not part of the package which means an additional cost
- Not the lightest of models at 15lbs
This battery-powered weed eater is one tool any homeowner and gardener will find quite useful. The Worx WG163 GT can function as an edger, as well as, a trimmer – has dual position wheels to make this possible. Its 12-inch cutting diameter is decent and features an innovative spool system saving you time when replacing the string.
- Features dual position wheels – the trimmer can also serve as an edger
- A decent cutting diameter of 12 inches
- An innovative and easy to use spool system
- Comes with a quick-lever for a quick and easy height adjustment
- Weighs only 5.3lbs making it one of the lightest grass trimmers
- May struggle with overgrown grass
- The line may easily break especially after touching an obstacle
The highlight feature of this grass trimmer is the ease at which it converts to an edger – quite convenient. This product from the famous Black Decker employs the Power Drive Transmission for added efficiency and ease of use. Other impressive features include the two-speed control and easy feed feature making the tool reliable and easy to use – a great addition to a gardener’s tool shed.
- Converts between an edger an trimmer with much ease
- Power Drive Transmission for ease of use and efficiency
- A two-speed control for extended use
- Easy feed system that allows you to feed the line easily
- Features adjustable height for user comfort
- It is tiresome using it as an edger – you will need several armrests and breaks
- A plastic drive gear that may break
Black and Decker feature again with yet another string trimmer worth your consideration. Well, the brand may tell you so much of the kind of product you are dealing with, but that’s beside the point. Some of the great features of LST300 include the PowerDrive Transmission system that provides the necessary thrust to bring down various families of weed.
- PowerDrive transmission for the efficiency of use
- An automatic feed spool for a more comfortable insertion
- Converts between an edger and trimmer in a matter of seconds
- Comes with an adjustable straight handle
- The plastic part on the auto-feed may not be that durable
- It may have a frustrating short runtime
So Why Use a Weed Eater?
Regardless of the variety you choose, weed eaters are useful tools for property owners – you don’t necessarily have to be a gardener. Yes, there are various machines you can use to trim or mow that grass sitting comfortably around your property, but none of them can match a weed eater’s ease of use.
You do not need to boast some experience to take this machine out to whack some weed. As long as you can locate the start button and you know an excellent location where weeds are holed up, then you are good to go. Weed eaters are easy to operate, and some of them even feature a rubberized handle for comfortable use.
These weed whackers are lighter than most tools you can use to conquer that invading grass, saplings, and weed – unless of course, you have a kukri machete, but let’s not go there. The machines are so light that your older children may enjoy using them – you know children, and heavy stuff are foes.
What do you look for when selecting the Best Weed Eater?
Don’t listen to anyone that has never owned a weed eater when they tell you that any tool is a good tool as long you have the skills. Yes, the skills are important but not any tool.
The right weed eater will compensate for your lack of skills, but we cannot say the same about the wrong tool – I know you get the point!
The following are pointers that will lead you right to the ideal weed eater for results to make you proud. Enjoy the ride!
The Type of Weed Eater
String trimmers come in a variety of types with some that are cordless, and others which have a cord. Your ideal machine depends much on preference.
- The electric weed eaters are the environmentally clean varieties. Even though they are light, convenient and produce zero-emissions, they are limited by the cord they have. You cannot also use them in places where there is no electricity connection.And apart from the limited area they can reach, they are not as powerful as the gas trimmers.
- The battery-powered trimmers have a reputation for convenience and portability. They can work on any weed anywhere on your property – all you need to do is take it there. However, you will need to bring an extra battery with you.
- The gas-powered weed eaters are the most powerful. They are quite mobile since they do not come with any cords – a far cry from the electric models. The gas-powered varieties may be a little noisy and not that clean, but they are quite worth it if you have an expansive property with all kinds of weed.
To be honest, the starting line is among the most annoying of features. No one fancies the effort of trying to start the engine utilizing this mechanism.
To save you from the unpleasant experience that can literally drive you up the wall, choose the string trimmers that boast a sequential start or loaded mechanism.
The Design of the Shaft
String trimmers are further categorized according to the kind of shaft they carry. But does the design matter? Well, the shaft design may be a matter of preference, but still, the handling aspect varies.
One person may be comfortable with one design and not the other – we are quite different.
- The straight shaft weed eaters usually come with straight solid handles and are pretty heavier than their counterpart, the curved models. The straight shaft models are more extended and ideal for people that do not fancy bending and those with back problems. Its longer reach proves quite useful when it comes to reaching those far off places of the lawn or garden.
- The curved shafts have a good following of people that consider them more comfortable to use. Among their highlight features include their light weight – a good thing especially when you have a vast area to knock weed off. And unlike the straight shaft variety, the curved models are shorter and easier to handle. However, they require you to bend from time to time.
Every homeowner deserves the best commercial weed eater they can afford. But there are some many of them on the market that choosing may be a headache in itself. However, you can save yourself from the unnecessary hassle by choosing one of the above grass trimmers – yes you can trust us! Our top choice has to be theHitachi CG23ECPSL 22.5cc 2-Cycle Trimmer, and there’s proof to back this claim.
If it isn’t the powerful 22.5 cc engine or the long adjustable shaft and anti-vibration system that will convince you, then the S-start and light weight will. Simply, the weed eater is up there regarding features and usability.