Chainsaws are indispensable machines that make work more comfortable in the right hands. They come in three varieties that include corded, cordless and gas.
You can choose any one of them depending on your preference and the kind of task at hand.
We have compiled a list of the top brands below.
Detailed Chainsaw Reviews
For industrial level use, you need heavy duty machinery that makes cutting trees a breeze. This gas-powered chainsaw is probably among the best if you have loads of trees to bring down. It is fuel efficient reducing your overall costs and is not associated with a significant number of emissions. It is a low vibration model making it easier to use.
Husqvarna 455 Rancher also supports easy and quick maintenance as air filter cleaning and replacement is not so hard.
- Employs x-torq engine technology for fuel efficiency reducing your overall costs
- Does not have a lot of emissions harmful to the environment
- Low vibrations making it easier to handle
- It is easy to maintain and will not need to brood over trying to handle the air filter
- Employs a centrifugal air cleaning system to prevent bigger particles from reaching the air system
- Getting parts may not be so easy
- May have problems with the bar oiler
Worx is a household name when it comes to chainsaws, and so you are sure of getting quality. This is an easy-to-use battery-powered chainsaw that may be best suited for both the professionals and novices. Its chain tension system is toll-free and automatic. Chain lubrication is automated and convenient for the user. There is also an oil level indicator which leaves you to concentrate on maintaining a good grip when working.
- Convenient and comfortable to use for any level of user
- A chain tension system, toll-free and automatic making it easy to use
- Automatic chain lubrication and oil level indicator which all make it easy for you
- Compact and light – handling is not too much work
- Has a battery level indicator keeping you informed on how much juice you have left
- Not quite heavy duty for constant use
This is quite an appealing piece of machinery to have around in your tool shed for garden maintenance. For starters, this chainsaw comes with a high capacity 4AH battery that may approximate up to 100 cuts on a single charge – quite significant. Has brushless motor that may demonstrate more efficient than its peers – a good thing when it comes to performance.
- A high capacity battery to support up to 100 cuts on a single charge
- Has brushless motor for improved efficiency
- Reduced vibration and so easy to use
- Lower chances of kickback necessary for your safety
- May have a problem with the oiler
- There may also be chain adjustment issues
This is yet another powerful machine with 14.5 Amp motor. It also has an automatic tension chain system ensuring an extended life for the chain and bar. Safety when using a chainsaw is a critical matter. This product has an internal braking system and a kickback bar. Auto oil lubrication system is another important feature that ensures the chain is working as efficiently as possible.
- A 14.5 Amp motor – adequate power for felling trees
- Auto-tension system preventing the tightening of the chain and extending its life
- An internal chain brake and a kickback bar for improved efficiency
- Auto oil lubrication ensuring the chain is always in good shape
- Has a cord that can sometimes be limiting
- May sometimes seem to use too much oil
The chainsaw comes with a sturdy brushless motor delivering a high-level performance. It is a safe machine to use as chances of kickbacks are quite minimal – especially good for novices and people that are not very strong. This product has an auto-oiling feature that saves you from the trouble of oiling now and then.
- Has a brushless motor delivering a high-level performance
- Has a chain brake and low kickback for the safety of any level of user
- Auto-oiling making your tasks much easier
- An easy to use bar tightening knob and chain tensioning that is toll-free
- Comes with a variable speed knob
- Low noise for comfort of use
- The oiler may malfunction after a number of uses
- May have a leaking and excessive oil use problem
Safety Tips to Observe when Using the Chainsaw
Chainsaw accidents are not uncommon, and if not careful, you can come out of a simple maintenance job without a limb. The most common accidents are from kickback resulting from a stuck chain. Contemporary varieties are coming with emergency safeguards, but that does not give you a free pass not to observe precautionary measures.
The first fundamental safety tip is to wear protective dressing. Your clothing should be snuggly-fitting, and your feet should be in steel toe boots. Your legs should be in cut-resistant chaps and your hands in protective gloves. A chainsaw makes wood particles and all sorts of debris fly in various directions which can be dangerous for your face and especially the eyes. To be on the safe side, wear a helmet. Even better, a face mask.
Chainsaws are some of the equipment responsible for a significant amount of noise pollution exceeding the recommended 85-decibels. To avoid damage to your hearing, have some hearing protection.
When pull-starting the heavy-duty models, you should have a firm grip on it. Some varieties come equipped with a section for your foot to ground the device and avoid any movement when pulling the starter cord.
And as much as possible, avoid ladders entirely and if it is critical you use a ladder, make sure it is not more than shoulder height. Never utilize the tips of the blade to saw to avoid kickbacks.
Another thing that significantly contributes to your safety is maintenance – a well-maintained machine is safer. A well-sharpened and oiled chain substantially reduces chances of kickbacks.
And if cutting down trees in a remote location, it is best to be in pairs or to let others know where you will be so that they can easily find you in case of an emergency.
Choosing the Best Chainsaw: Helpful Tips
- Purpose and Usage: there is a wide variety of chainsaws on the market, and each is best-suited for a specific task. If you are looking to do low-duty maintenance works around your yard, like debris removal and taming trees, then an electric model with a small engine will do just fine.Its ease of use and low noise makes them best for residential areas.However, if looking for a machine that will be your companion in the woods to fall a significant number of trees, then a heavy-duty gas chainsaw is the way to go. It is larger but more potent than the residential model.The same case applies when it comes to usage. An electrical or battery-operated model is sufficient if you’re only doing light duties a few times a year. They are also low maintenance and will not be a lot of hassle for you.
- Experience: if you are a beginner in using chainsaws, buying more powerful and heavy model may be a kind of a risk for you. It may be more powerful than you can handle and chances of kickbacks may be on the higher side. Don’t shy away from a smaller and lighter model as it will be gentle on your skills, and most importantly, it will still get the job done.Heavier models may prove harder to maneuver because of the strain it places on your hands. You can get tired quickly, and there is a safety risk – your grip may grow loose, and that is not the best thing.
- The Kind of Trees you will be Cutting Down: It goes without saying the large hardwood like ash, hickory and dogwood varieties need heavy-duty machinery. Choosing a lighter battery-operated machine will not be the best as it would be so much strain on you and your chainsaw. However, if you will be dealing with small radius softwood, then you are good with a lighter chainsaw.
- Guide Bar Length: this basically holds the chain and extends out from the engine housing. When choosing the right chainsaw, the guide bar length is a critical factor. However, it also depends on the width of the wood you will be cutting and your level of expertise.Large diameter trees will need a more extensive guide bar and vice versa. It also goes without saying that larger guide bars are not for novices as they demand a high level of grip and confidence to control kickbacks.
The best chainsaw is easier to use and maintain. It is safe and does not demand a high level of maintenance from you. All the above will make decent choices. However, if you are out for a heavy-duty chainsaw for commercial purposes, then Husqvarna 455 Rancher 20-Inch 55-1/2cc 2-Stroke Gas-Powered Chain Saw may be the ideal choice.
The thing about gas-powered models is that they are quite powerful but may require a little bit of more maintenance than the others. This model is however low maintenance, fuel efficient and easy to use – qualities that excite any level of the user.